Welcome students and parents to the Bobcat's Media Center
Pamela Melton, Media Specialist and Sheri Heasley, Media Clerk
The Media Center is open from 8:00 am to 2:15 pm (1:15 on early release Wednesdays). Please see Mrs.Melton if you need access to the Media Center outside regular hours.
- K-1st grade students may check out one book.
- 2nd-5th grade students may check out two books.
All books are checked out for two weeks. Books are the responsibility of the student. Students are expected to pay for damaged or lost books.
Media Schedule and Lessons
Spruce Creek Elementary's Media Center operates under a flexible schedule, as advocated by the American Association of School Librarians. This allows the media program to be fully integrated into the educational program. Therefore the media specialist and classroom teacher plan for weekly scheduled visits as well as informal lessons. Small groups of students are encouraged to make sure of the Media Center's resources as needed. Media lessons are planned by the media specialist who collaborates with the classroom teachers. We are also on the special area schedule every third month.
- Reading Counts-click on the following link to access the Scholastic Book Expert. When you click on the Browse Book Expert Online button, you are able to search titles that are supported by Reading Counts Quizzes. There are prizes for reaching different points levels.
- Spelling Bee
- Scholastic Book Fairs
- Sunshine State young Readers Award. Students in grades 2-5 are encouraged to read the Sunshine State books. They can earn BragTags for each book they read. After 3 completed books, they will qualify to vote for their favorite book and be invited to an ice cream party at the end of the year.
Media Center Access
The Volusia County School district has a process in which parents can select their student's level of access to the school media center collection each year:
- Unlimited (Students default to unlimited access if Media Center Access Form is not filled out.)
- No Access
Parents can access the form to tell the district their preference using the link below. The parents' choice will be recorded in Destiny, the district's library book circulation system.
- Media Center Access Form (Reminder: Parents do not need to fill out the form if unlimited access is requested.)