Bobcats strive to EXCEL as a diverse community of critical thinkers, problem solvers and responsible citizens.
School Colors: Blue, Yellow and White
School Mascot: Bobcat
School Hours: 7:50 am - 2:30 pm
WE, THE FAMILY OF SPRUCE CREEK ELEMENTARY
- We believe education is the shared responsibility of family, students, staff, and community.
- We believe all members of our school family should be treated with dignity and respect.
WISH TO EXCEL AT THE ON-GOING, EVER-CHANGING PROCESS OF TEACHING AND LEARNING
- We believe positive communication among students, parents, teachers, and staff is the key to a successful school.
- We believe the community is an essential resource for the academic and social growth of our students.
- We believe that staff and students should strive for excellence in their teaching and learning.
- We believe learning is a dynamic, lifelong process.
Spruce Creek Elementary, located on Taylor Road in Port Orange, opened its doors in 1980 to 954 students. Until Spruce Creek opened, the only elementary school in Port Orange was Port Orange Elementary. In 1980-1981, Spruce Creek was recognized as a Model School for Team Teaching. Spruce Creek Elementary has pioneered many activities effecting local students such as grade level teams that won national recognition, school wide themes, the first Grandparent's Day in 1981-1982, the first story telling festival in 1982-1983, and an "open" library schedule. Because of the school wide theme, the Project Wild program, the city of Port Orange was given the impetus to purchase endangered land from Volusia County. Other milestones include the first "Career Day" (1981), an "artist in residence" program (1983), a Natural Trail (1987) and the Science Discovery Room (1988). Spruce Creek's band has also won recognition. Music USA awarded a superior to the Spruce Creek Elementary Band from 1995 to 1999, and the highest overall award in 1997, 1998 and 1999.
Spruce Creek Elementary has been the recipient of many awards. The school was designated as a Red Carpet School in 1989. In 1998-1999 Spruce Creek won the Five Star School Award and was recognized as a Junior American Citizens School. In the school year, 1999-2000, Spruce Creek was named a School of Recognition by the Florida Department of Education and also received the Golden School Award. To find out more about this school and others in our district, please click on the link below.
Spruce Creek Elementary School Financial Reports can be viewed or obtained at the following locations:
- Spruce Creek Elementary School Office
- Central Administrative Building – Finance Department, 200 North Clara Avenue, DeLand
- District Website: District Financial Transparency